Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Truth out of stock.

A couple of days ago I was searching for a christmas card for my grandma at the grocery store. The stand which looked a kilometre long, was on one side red coloured. There were hundreds and hundreds of christmas cards displayed.

There were cards for children, from children, funny ones, cheesy ones with pets, ones for aunts and uncles, sons and daugthters, for loved ones, for neighbours, ones for sick people, ones with sounds, glittery ones, shiny ones, very very many cards.

As my eyes scanned the different cards I started to come to the sad realization that none of the cards had any association with the birth of Jesus. I became slightly worried, and looked around me to see if any one else was noticing this. But they didnt, people kept buying their cat food and paper towel without a care in the world.

On sunday I got to tell children from downtown Hamilton about the birth of Jesus. First they assured me they had already heard this story before. Another boy told me he had seen this story in a cartoon on tv. After the story was done we briefly talked about thinking about Jesus with Christmas. One boy told me 75 percent of his heart is for Jesus, and [only] 25 percent for the presents.

When I asked the kids if there were any prayer requests a boy put his finger up and said "Yesh can you pray for Jesus, that he may have a nice birthday?"


Yes, yes we can pray that. And we will celebrate, the thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices.

Are you willing to believe that love is the strongest thing in the world - stronger than hate, stronger than evil, stronger than death - and that the blessed life which began in Bethlehem nineteen hundred years ago is the image and brightness of the Eternal Love? Then you can keep Christmas. - Henry Van Dyke

No comments: